Sunday, June 24, 2012

Piece of the Week and coming exhibit.

Greetings All,
I'm preparing for an exhibit next month at the Human Thread with Ramona Dallum Lindsey. The exhibit it titled "We Too Are Chicago" and inspired by a poem that was written by Ramona. The focus is on youth and because of that I chose to exhibit pieces that I collaborated with youth. Below is a piece from my series "The Collaboration Project" that started in 2009 the Jamal Henderson and sisters. Jamal painted the background and I appliqued and quilted the whole cloth piece.
"We gaze out the train window at homeys on the corner and wonder how long Drop-outs will stand because no one cared enough to give them a chance. We too are Chicago!" - Ramona Dallum Lindsey.


I have wondered why I chose certin lines from Ramona's poem and when I look at the piece/poem I ask myself. This line was choosen because I would see young men/women standing on corners as I would drive throughout the ciy just standing and I ask why? They have other choices, but why don't they choose them? Do they not see a future? Do they not have any hope?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...