Thursday, December 30, 2010

UJAMAA-Cooperative Economics and NIA - Purpose

Greetings All,
The principles for day 4 and 5 of Kwanzaa are late because I've been busy finishing several pieces for my up and coming exhibit. So please forgive me for being tardy and you can see the pieces below completed or almost.

Dec. 29th UJAMAA COOPERATIVE ECONOMICS - To build and maintain our own stores, shops and other businesses and to profit from them together.

Dec. 30th NIA PURPOSE - To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.



"Collaboration - V (Ella)"

The above piece was created with the assistance of my mentee, Myia Esper. Myia painted the background and I add humming birds with Golden Gel Medium. The upper left hand one was cut from a magazine and the middle and lower left were printed from my pc on regular paper that I got from a copyright free website and I then cut humming birds from a blue plastic bag and applied them over the paper. I love this mix media process and I love working with Myia. Myia and I are a part of a mentoring program at Urban Circle Ministries and have been partnered since 2007.

James Moody (below) was an easy piece that took me about 8 hours to create. I love the simplicity of this piece and for me it was all about the cool blue. His jacket fabric is some of the fabrics that were created by the Henderson and they are the children that live next door to me. His shirt was some of my own had dyed and his sax is out of silk duponi that I have had for years and I'm just about at the end of the yard. I must get more because I just love the hand of silk and I love me some James Moody who died on December 9, 2010.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...