Sunday, May 3, 2009

Artropolis Chicago


Greetings, All,
No "Piece of the Week" again. I've been painting and collage my fabric for my new piece and hanging out with friends and going to meetings. Monday night I went to a meeting of the CWCA (Chicago Women Causes for Art). This was a first for me and I met a interesting group of women. Arelen Rakoncay, Judith Roth, Joan Minsky, Sandra Holubow, Laura Cref-Dahl, and Sandra Bacon to name a few. I look forward to this month's meeting. You can click on their link to see all about organization and local and national. They also had some passes to the opening night of Artropolis Chicago and I was lucky enough to get them.


Artropolis Chicago is one of the premiere events at this time of the year. It's all about art, antiques, and culture. This is a 4-day event and it's non-stop eye-candy. I was wowed and perplexed at the same time. I am always amazed at what pictures I take and what people create. This took place on Thursday night and you can check out my photos below. I too pictures of mix-media, painting, paper/paint, big draws, balloons, and toilet paper rolls. Why? I can't answer.






















Friday night I went to the opening of sculptor Richard Hunt (below) at G. R. N'Namdi Gallery. Again the art, people, food, and WOW! Richard is one of my favorites and a beloved son of Chicago/World. You can see his work all around Chicago and that's a joy to behold.































This is me standing next to one of Chicago and the worlds best sculptors Richard Hunt.

On my way out of the gallery I ran into two more of my favorite people. David Philpot (left) and Daniel Parker (below). David makes the most incredible staffs or walking sticks and are not just walking sticks. He gets his inspiration from the environment. His art comes from weed trees that grow in vacant lots, next to abandoned buildings, and alongside railroad tracks and expressways.


Daniel T. Parker is co-founder of Diasporal Rhythms and the author of African Art: The Diaspora and Beyond. Dan's collection of art is know around the country and I love visiting his space and it was good seeing him out and about.

1 comment:

Sonji Hunt said...

Wow. Other people that have told me they have met Richard Hunt always speak of how they feel revived and inspired afterward. Thrive on! So thrilling to live vicariously through your big time Chicago art adventures, Trish.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...