Sunday, August 14, 2016

Ubuntutu: Life Legacies of Love and Action.

Greetings All,
Here is the latest self promotion.  I have the honor to be include in an exhibit titled Ubuntutu: Life Legacies of Love and Action Quilt Tributes to Desmond and Leah Tutu by South African and American Artists. The exhibition will open Thursday, September 29, 2016 in Cape Town, SA and is one of the events leading up to the Desmond Tutu International Peace Lecture.  Below is the piece that I entered into this exhibition and this was not my 1st choice, but my choice nevertheless.


This piece was created to pay homage to an extraordinary world class couple who have been in the fight for equality for their homeland and for global causes.  I count it a great privilege to be included in this historical exhibition and hope/pray that my simple piece wills convey my gratitude. The verbiage that has been applied state just a few facts about what their foundation was build on.
I used my hand dyed cotton as the sky, the land cotton was a gift from a good friend and I over painted it so that she could be included in the piece.  The button that I chose for embellishment came from another friend mother’s stash of buttons and I wanted at her was also from a friend and the cross was a found object that I could not step across when I saw it.  By adding all of these gifts and found objects give the piece to me a since of community.
I chose the color purple for the church and the African print to compliment the purple because I see them as a unit that fights the good fight of faith.  I joined their hand together in the center of the piece as a symbol of a heart and to me that represents love that these two champions in their personal life and the causes of the foundation.   This was machine pieced and quilted as a labor of love and gratitude.

The piece below is the 1st creation that I vetoed and now I wish I had gone on with, but nevertheless it is available.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...