Saturday, January 30, 2016

Ulrica

Greetings All,
Here is a photo of my latest piece titled Ulrica which is inspired by a role that was sung my Marian Anderson at the "Metropolitan Opera" in New York one and only one time.  When I looked at photos of her in costume she reminded me of a warrior queen.  The background fabric was dyed by an Marion A. Anderson and I felt that it was most appropriate for it to be in this piece.  Plus every time I looked at this fabric I could her singing "Deep River".

The musical note swirling about her is how I feel when I first heard her sing, they were moving and flowing in the air. The verbiage is a quote from her that reads "As long as you keep a person down, some parts of you has to be down there to hold him down, so it means you cannot soar as you otherwise might".  Powerful words from a powerful woman.


 






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...