Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chicago Artists Month - Openings

Greetings All,

This is Chicago Artists Month and I have two opening receptions this month and two closing artists salons. Plus there are two ongoing exhibits that I'm participating in. On Friday, October 8,2010 at the South Side Community Art Center, Sapphire & Crystals will have their opening of "Friendships" exhibit. Reception:6:00 - 9:00 pm.
Address: 3831 S. Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60619.
Website: http://www.southsidecommunityartcenter.com/
Phone: 773-373-1026.


The three piece below are the pieces that I've submitted for this exhibit. The piece to the left is call "Collaboration -III" and it's a part of a series of pieces that I created with the children that live next door to me. Jabriha painted the fabric and I quilted it and added her image to it just the other day to show-case her and her creativity.

The piece in the middle is called "Felted Landscape" and I chose it because it was created with the use of a Baby Lock felting machine that belonged to a friend Erica Graff and I use wool roving and felt from another friend, Judy Coates Perez. Also I added some hand painted fabric from Frieda Anderson.

The piece to the right is called "New Season" and it was inspired by a poem written young woman who's a member of my church. I was so taken with it that I asked if I could create a piece in honor of it and she granted me permission. I will not know which piece will be on display until Friday and to me that's exciting.





Saturday, October 9, 2010 at Tom Robinson Gallery the members of CWCA will host their opening reception from 4 to 8 pm at 2416 W. North Ave. The exhibition runs from Oct 9 - 30, 2010.



Below is my piece called "Dishy Dinah" and I chose this one for this exhibit because for me it represents a part of Chicago's history as being one of the major contributors of America music history. Dinah Washington is one of my she-ro and that's why I chose to honor. I loved her song styling and they have not been matched in my ears thus far.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...